CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 8, 2010

How Do You Feel When...

I was talking with a crafting friend at school this past week about giving our cards away as gifts, and how people always say, "It's so nice. I don't want to use them." 


And this morning, as I was working on a Mother's Day gift for my kids' stepmom, I texted my ex-husband to ask if she uses the desk set I made for her for Christmas, and he mentioned that it's actually sitting inside the desk. Sniff... At least she's using the bookmarks I made. And before anyone says, "Oh, maybe it's because you're the ex-wife..." you should know that we're quite friendly. This is just one example of giving handmade cards/notebooks/stationery that people don't use.


On the other hand, I gave a set of customizable cards to a good guy friend, who is always giving cards to people, and he immediately started using them. He told me he's out of the "thank you" sentiments already. Well, he didn't use the word "sentiments," but he did say he was out of "thank yous." Lol.


I started wondering...
  • Do they really mean that? Or do they think it's ugly and they don't want people to think that THEY made it?
  • Don't they realize that the whole reason I gave it to them was for them to get some use out of it?
I understand crafty people not using it... That's kind of why I "generally" don't give my stuff away to people who do make cards or scrapbook... I know that they can make their own, and that's the fun.  I also understand NOT using the cards/notebooks you get from swaps. Those are for casing. 


As I was grumbling to the hubs about this, and asking him what he REALLY thinks the truth might be, he says, "Why don't you just give people sets instead of one-of-a-kind cards. That way, they can keep one if they really like it and use the rest." Um, yeah, duh! I've seen so many of you all do that. That's way smarter than what I'm doing now. 


I think I'm going to try that and see what happens.

5 comments:

ASKC said...

hey, i totally used the thank you cards you gave me! lol. and caleb's album is almost done, but haven't even started on brynna's one...i will though! so...yea, non-crafty folk, we love them crafty cards to give away!!!

Erica said...

I think we all feel this way about giving away the things we make. Card sets are a great idea. Especially thank you cards and birthday cards-those are always the ones I need at the last minute!

Bonita Rose said...

I only give ppl sets and I usually only sell sets.. it works for me... I rarely sell a card individually.. I sell 4 card sets with envies.. dft cards in the box.. and ppl love them!

IamDerby said...

I give away card sets all the time and the one thing i have consistently heard is... I like them so much I dont want to give them away. My own mom (who knows she can get more at anytime from me) hoards hers as well. So that might be the reason.

daisykl said...

My sister was great at using the cards I gave her - she sends out about 6-8 a week! On the other hand, I gave an elderly lady at church some cards for a Christmas gift - she always remembers everyone's birthday and anniversary, so I thought she could use them. Apparently she forgot that I'm the one who gave them to her and she gave them back last week thinking I might "be able to use them"